-=PCTechTalk=- Re: lost images in email again

  • From: "Ange" <locustchewed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 03:36:32 +0100

Hi Mike
Found this really interesting ~ hopefully it'll have some use in my studies.
Thanks
Ange
a.k.a. Clueless of Doncaster
http://www.geocities.com/locustchewed/outanabout.html

~~~~~The Clueless Reply Separator~~~~~
From: "Mike"

Hi Sandy,

In Windows XP the hosts file is located in:
 \%Systemroot%\System32\Drivers\Etc folder
(where \%Systemroot%\ is the location of your Windows folder).
It has the same function under XP that has under Windows 9X and 2K.
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc

or you can use this one:
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

      What is the Hosts file?
 You can begin blocking ads and help keep yourself from being tracked by
  using the Hosts file with Windows and other operating systems.

What is the Hosts file, and how does it stop ads and tracking?
     The Short Answer:
The short answer is that the Hosts file is like an address book. When you=
 type an address like www.yahoo.com into your browser, the Hosts file is=
 consulted to see if you have the IP address, or "telephone number," for=
 that site. If you do, then your computer will "call it" and the site will=
 open. If not, your computer will ask your ISP's (internet service=
 provider) computer for the phone number before it can "call" that site.=
 Most of the time, you do not have addresses in your "address book,"=
 because you have not put any there. Therefore, most of the time your=
 computer asks for the IP address from your ISP to find sites.

Mike ~ one of the Moderators
It is a good day if I learned something new.
Editor MikesWhatsNews http://www.mwn.ca/