-=PCTechTalk=- Re: high speed internet

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 19:09:37 -0400

FAP stands for Fair Access Policy and it is a mandate used by most, if not
all, satellite internet companies to limit just how much you can
download/upload using their service.  In our case, we were paying for the
top tier service which supposedly gave us a 1.5 mB/s connection.  Taking the
lag associated with satellite service, it was actually much lower than that.
The FAP limit that goes along with that level of service is 17,000mB/any
rolling 30 day period.  So, if you were to download 17,000 mB/30 day, your
violation would result in them cutting the connection down to a little over
dial-up speed until the 30 day total dropped below 70% of the limit (which
is 11,000).  Once exceeded, it took us about 3 weeks to drop down to that
point, according to their counter.

Peace,
Gman