-=PCTechTalk=- Re: high speed internet

  • From: David Chun <dtwchun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 14:29:48 -0400

Hank,

Just checked some notes and found that I probably began Verizon
Broadband service in late October 2006 (darn it this means I haven't met
my 2 year obligation yet for a few more months).  Anyway at that time,
there had been a big push by Verizon to shore up their coverage area and
Broadband had just become available to me.  I had checked all the other
phone companies and by sheer luck Verizon was the only one that I was in
the coverage area (although I found out at the Verizon store that I was
in the borderline of being in the coverage area; so I later added an
external antenna so I would improve my reception, just in case), since I
had cell phone service with Verizon.  But at that time, Verizon changed
it's terms of service from $79.95 to $59.95 (reduced since 2005).  A
customer service representative I talked with earlier that year simply
said that if I exceeded the 5 gigabytes that my broadband services would
be 'terminated'!  But the sales person at the Verizon store reassured me
that yes it would be terminated, but it would simply be picked up again
at the start of the next billing cycle -- 5 gigabytes a month until all
used up then you have to wait for next allotment and start over again.
The salesman at the store said the reason for this is that Verizon was
trying to inhibit people from doing streaming videos and the like --
instead of using a cable service, watching television programs using
Verizon broadband -- that 5 gigabytes was a lot of broadband and that I
probably wouldn't use it up in a month.  That last part was wrong
because I kept downloading more and more stuff from iTunes each month to
the point I'm pretty sure that I exceed 5 gigabytes each month (how else
can I account for fillling a 250 gigabyte external hard drive?).  But I
do make up for it by not using my 400 minutes with my cell phone -- I
barely come close to using even 100 minutes each month).  And again,
when I take the time to actually look at my Verizon invoice, the
broadband plan only says 'unlimited megabytes' and nothing  about
limitation to 5 gigabytes.

Regardless, will switch to AT&T DSL (will keep cell phone service with
Verizon since I'm happy with them) just because of the lower
subscription and faster speed.  Come to think of it, knowing how slow
AT&T has been about getting service to our area (there I go again,
counting my chickens before they've hatched), even if I have to wait for
late October to fullfill my 2-year obligation for my Broadband
subscription, AT&T might actually by that time have finished getting DSL
to my area.

David

--
David T.W. Chun, Ph.D.
Microbiologist

USDA, ARS                                      864 656-2488 ext. 227
Cotton Quality Research Station          FAX 864 656-1311
P.O. Box 792
Clemson, SC 29633                dtwchun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                       mailto:  David.Chun@xxxxxxxxxxxx