-=PCTechTalk=- Re: help w/recording from cassette player to computer pls

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 22:04:10 -0400

Hmm, First of all, I want you to know that I have no intention of telling
you what to do with your audio files.  All I have is suggestions and
approaches for you to investigate.  The rest will be up to you to experiment
and try out different functions to see not only what they do, but also how
to control those effects and processes (such as how much noise reduction is
ideal for a particular recording).  As long as you understand that, here are
some things you should probably do to every file you rip from cassette.

1.    No matter how careful you are, the file will contain some dead air at
the beginning and end of the file.  How much depends on how you recorded it.
Move to the very end of the file and you'll see that the waveform is a
straight line.  What you need to do is to zoom into the area just before the
actual moving waveform collapsed to this straight line.  I'll leave it up to
you to figure out how to zoom into a specific area of the waveform (hint:
apps like this usually have LOTS of keyboard shortcuts and context menus).
You want to position the waveform's image so that you can see exactly where
it becomes zero.  As you position it for this, continue to zoom in until you
can't get any closer to the action (position, zoom a bit, fix positioning,
zoom in some more, etc.).  Notice that a timeline is shown like a ruler
across the entire length of the waveform.  From wherever the wave hits that
final zero volume, add 2 seconds to the time, move to that point in the wave
and then highlight & delete everything that comes after it (it'll just be a
straight line sitting on the zero amplitude line).  When you're done, repeat
the process for the beginning of the file, but only leave a split second
before the sound begins.  You have now made the file as short as possible.

More to come once you get the hang of this part.