-=PCTechTalk=- Re: general advice on a laptop

  • From: Foxhillers@xxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 01:56:34 EST

In a message dated 12/31/03 8:50:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
inquisitive@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=8600SAP&cs=19&;
> dgvcode=ss&c=US&l=EN
>
> the above link is the dell I was considering - so what I'm trying to do is
> compare these 3 for a start:
>
> 1 - the e-bay and Sagertown (not the most expensive one but the $1945 one)
> are faster as both have the Pentium 4 hyperthread while Dell only has
> Pentium M - then Dell has 1.5GHz, the Sager and e-bay one both have 3.0GHz
> 2 - Dell comes with WXGA (can be upgraded), Sager has UXGA and e-bay has
> SXGA
> 3 - all 3 have the XP Home Edition which is all I want
> 4 - all 3 have 512 ram of memory
> 5 - since I don'tunderstand or see I can't compare the video cards as only
> Dell lists a name
> 6 - Dell has a free CD/DVD burner, other two look like only have CD burner
> and DVD player
> 7 - Dell and e-bay have 40 gig hard drive and Sager 60
> 8 - e-bay has an internal battery - is that good, bad or indifferent as
> opposed to the other 2?
> 9 - Dell has integrated network card and wireless card - unless I'm missing
> other two don't have this
>
> okay that's what I can see to compare - then Dell doesn't mention how many
> if any USB ports while the other two ahve 4, Sager has a carrying case but
> who knows what size
> the price differences are from $1349 (after rebate) from Dell, e-bay $1599
> and Sager $1999
> there isn't that much difference between the Dell and the e-bay one but not
> sure the Sager would be worth an extra $600 for me.  I wish the Dell site
> was clearer on how many if any USB ports it has as that sounds like an
> important factor - does all that sound like I covered everything to make my
> decision?  Dolores

Dolores

Do you plan to have your new computer be the hub of an entertainment system
more than use as a computer?  Do you plan on producing DVDs?  If not, why would
you need a DVD burner?
Here are the specs for the Sager Notebook NP5680S
.... MUCH higher quality screen than the Dell's WXGA, faster bus speed,
faster RAM, 4 times as much video RAM than the Dell at 32 megs, network cars.
    15" Super-Wide Viewing Angles UXGA Active Matrix LCD Display
        Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with HT Technology at 3.0GHz (800MHz FSB)

        512 MB PC3200 DDR400 memory [ Expandable to 2048 MB ]
        60.0 GB (5400rpm) Ultra DMA Hard Drive
        8X DVD / 24X10X24 CD-RW Combo Drive & Softwares , upgradable to 2X
DVD-R/RW Combo Drive & Softwares
        Smart Li-ION Battery
        Front Panel Audio DJ CD Player
        ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600 PRO TURBO 128MB DDR
        Removable 3.5" FDD exchangeable with opt. CD-ROM, CD-RW, COMBO,
DVD-R/RW, 2nd HDD, 2nd Battery, or 6-in-1 Card Reader
        Wavetable 3D Stereo Audio/AC'97 2.1
        Touchpad with Scrolling Keys
        1 Type II PCMCIA Slot
        Infra Red, Wireless Fast IR interface
        4 USB 2.0 Ports
        1 IEEE-1394 Port (4 PIN)
        Other Ports: 1 S/PDIF out, 1 headphone, 1 infrared, 1 microphone, 1
parallel, 1 PS/2 keyboard, 1 SVGA video, 1 TV-out, 1 RJ-45(LAN), 1 RJ-11(Modem)

        Additional Features: Integrated 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet LAN & V.90
56K Fax/Modem, Optional Internal 802.11b Wi-Fi Module, Internal Bluetooth
Module, 6-in-1 Card Reader Module, 8X Max. DVD-ROM, 8X DVD/24x10x24 CD-RW
Combo, 2X
DVD-RW Drive.
        Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
        Standard Carrying Case
        Auto Switch 110/220V AC Adapter, AC power cord, User's Manual,
Utility CD
        Dimension (H) x (W) x (D) : 1.7"x13"x11.4"     Weight: 9.65lbs. with
Battery
        One year Parts and Labor Limited Warranty. (2 or 3 year Extended
Warranty Plan optional.)
        Lifetime Free Technical Support

Here are the Specs for the G736 from Zuke Computers via ebay. Again MUCH
faster system, faster RAM, 4 times the amount of video RAM, faster graphics
card,
better screen quality/resolution, network cards

INTEL PENTIUM 4 3.0 GHz PROCESSOR 800 FBUS!
800 MHz System Bus Speed Socket 478
Hyper Threading Technology!
NEW 512k Advanced L2 Advanced Transfer Cache!!
128 Bit Enhanced Floating Point Unit
Advanced Dynamic Execution
    CORE LOGIC
SiS 648FX & SiS 963B1, 8X AGP bus interface, supports host bus at 800MHz &
Hyperthreading
ACPI V1.0b, AGP V2.0 and 3.3V PCI version 2.2 compliant
800MB/s high bandwidth MuTIOL between SiS 648FX & SiS 963B1
    512 MB DDR 333MHz PC2700 SYSTEM MEMORY
Expansion 2 slots of 200pin DDR SDRAM module
Upgradeable to 1GB on two DIMM sockets, support DDR 333/PC2700 DDR 400/PC3200
specification.
Support Write-Back L1 & L2 Cache
512KB On-Die L2 Cache
1 x 512 chip
UPGRADE TO 1GB (1024MB) FOR ONLY $99.00!
    BIOS & SECURITY
AMI 512K Flash BIOS, supports password, Plug & Play, ACPI and DMI
BIOS password protection and Kensington Lock hole provided
    DISPLAY, VIDEO, AND 128MB ATI RADEON GRAPHICS
15" SXGA+ TFT-LCD Active Matrix Screen with 1400x1050 resolution (16.7M
colors)!!
ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 M10, AGP 8X, 128MB non-shared DDR video memory
Video bridge supported by SiS 301LV, TV-Out function provided
Non-Integrated Graphics board! No Shared Memory!
Dual-View Display Capability
    AUDIO AND SPEAKERS
SPDIF Digital output (5.1 CH) for DVD content
Hardware SoundBlaster Pro for real-mode DOS legacy compatible
Support 6 channels of AC'97 2.2 compliance audio for 5.1 channel Dolby
Digital Material
Built-in two high quality stereo speakers with chamber and mic.
    CD-RW & DVD COMBO DRIVE
Equipped with 24X CD-RW & 8X DVD-ROM Combo Drive
Burn music and data CD's, and watch DVD movies!
12.7mm height
UPGRADE TO 2X DVDRW BURNER DRIVE FOR ONLY $129.00!
    40 GB HARD DISK DRIVE 5400 RPM
IBM ATA 100 and Enhanced IDE (PIO mode 4) supported, 2.5" 9.5mm height
Upgradeable easily, optional capacity of 15/20/30/40/60/80/100GB
Supports Ultra DMA HDD for High Speed Access
UPGRADE TO 60GB 5400RPM FOR ONLY $45.00!
UPGRADE TO 60GB 7200RPM FOR ONLY $95.00!
UPGRADE TO 80GB 5400RPM FOR ONLY $119.00!
CNET PCMCIA WIRELESS INTERNET NETWORK ADAPTER
Access the Internet anywhere with a wireless internet connection!
11Mbps wireless speed
Features a Built-in PCB patch diversity antenna
Power saving mode in infrastructure to minimize power consumption
Automatic fallback data rate under a noisy environment.
UPGRADE TO LINKSYS 54MBPS G WIRELESS FOR ONLY $49.00!
56K MODEM & 10/100 NETWORK ADAPTER
Onboard full duplex 10/100 Base-T ethernet, MAC: SiS 961 built-in
56K / V.90 Conexant PCI software data/fax modem
Built-in SIR transceiver module, IrDA 1.3 standard compliant up to 4.0Mbps
    KEYBOARD AND POINTING DEVICE
Synaptics touch pad with scrolling up/down button
12 function keys and Windows function key, 19mm key pitch
US/Europe, DOS/V keyboard for Japan, full size keyboard alike pitch
3.0mm key travel, inverted-T cursor layout
    PCMCIA SLOT
1 Type II PCMCIA Slot
PCMCIA 3.0 Standard Compliant
Supports Cardbus Devices
Plug in your Wireless Networking Card into your laptop!
    INTERNAL BATTERY & POWER SYSTEM
Rechargeable INTERNAL Smart Lithium-ION Battery
Full Range Auto-Switching 110V/240V AC Adapter
Li-Ion 12 Cells, 6000mAh, 88.8Whr battery pack or 8 Cells, 4000mAh, 59.2Whr
battery pack
Battery Life Over 2-3hrs (12 cells)
Battery Charge 3.5hrs fast charge when system off (12 cells), 2.5hrs(8 cells)

    USB 2.0 & IEEE 1394A FIREWIRE PORT
Incorporates with four USB 2.0 ports, transfer rate up to 480Mbps
Integrated 2 UHCI host controller for full-speed (12Mbps) and low-speed
(1.5Mbps)
    I/O INTERFACE PORTS
1 x Parallel port
1 x External VGA port
1 x S-Video TV-Out port
1 x RJ-11 jack for Modem
1 x RJ-45 for Ethernet
1 x Firewire 1394 Port
1 x External CRT port
4 x USB ports
1 x IR Port
1 x MIC-In jack
1 x headphone jack
1 x 3-pin DC-In jack for AC adapter
    SOFTWARE, ACCESSORIES, & DIMENSIONS
Windows XP Home Edition
WinDVD
PC-Cillin for internet virus protection.
Easy CD Creator, plus much more!
All Drivers for Video, Sound, Modem, ETC Will be included.
BUSINESS SOFTWARE PACKAGE AVAILABLE FOR ONLY $29.00!  CLICK HERE FOR MORE
INFO : http://www.zuke.com/ebay/softbus.htm
332 x 281 x 39.7mm / 44.7mm (13.07" x 10.81" x 1.56" / 1.76")
8.0 lbs
    WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION
Fully Configured with Windows XP Home Edition!
Windows XP Re-installation CD w/Full License and Certificate of Authenticity
Included.
System is Fully Configured! No more headaches with installing drivers! Just
plug in and enjoy!
UPGRADE TO WINDOWS XP PRO FOR ONLY $50.00!
UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 2000 PRO FOR ONLY $50.00!
Do not need an operating system?  Downgrade and save $45.00!

    Hope this helps
MJH
"The Basil Book"
http://foxhillfarm.us/FireBasil