-=PCTechTalk=- Re: freezing

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 20:48:17 -0800

Hi Kathy,
If the problem has been ongoing for a while, it may be too late.
But here's the instructions;

Be sure to back up your registry before making any changes!
Click Start, and select Run, then type in MSCONFIG and click OK.
In the 'General' tag, click 'Create Backup'.

---------------
How to Manually Restore the Windows 98/Me Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q221512

Under normal circumstances, Windows is capable of detecting and recovering
from registry errors automatically. If Windows is incapable of this, a
previous copy of the registry can be restored manually. Windows makes and
stores a backup of the registry when you start your computer successfully
each day. By default, five previous copies or the registry are stored. To
restore one of these previous copies:

1/ Start your computer, press and hold CTRL, and then choose
'Safe Mode Command Prompt Only' from the Windows 98 Startup menu.
If you are running Windows Me, start your computer with the startup disk.

2/ At the MS-DOS prompt, type 'cd\windows\command' (without quote's),
and then press ENTER.
Where "windows" is the name of the folder in which Windows is installed.

3/ At the C: prompt, type 'scanreg /restore' , and then press ENTER.

4/ Select the previous registry you want to restore, and then press ENTER.
NOTE : A properly working registry has the word "Started" next to the date.

5/ When you receive notification that you restored a properly working
registry, press ENTER to restart your computer.

http://www3.telus.net/mikebike
<http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/mikes_virus_page.htm>
A Technical Support Alliance & OWTA Charter Member

On 14/01/2004 at 10:36 PM Kathy M wrote:

No i have never done that...can you give me instructions...i have win
98SE...thanx Kathy