-=PCTechTalk=- Re: firewall - router

  • From: "Bashful Bob" <Bashfulbob@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:36:40 -0600

Hi
I haven't been following this thread too closely, BUT let me tell you about
my DSL Router/Modem. We have DSL over phone lines not cable.

First yes it is a DSL router with a built in modem. Found three on the
market, Zoom, Hayes and Netgear wired (also there is a wireless model). I
wanted a built in modem to cut down on equipment in our tiny computer room.

The router also has 3 firewalls built in, NAT, DoS and SPI. It also has a 4
port Ethernet switch on the back end. It does have a power converter you
need to plug in. The size is rather compact, about 1 inch high, 3.5 inches
deep and about 6 inches wide. The cost was just under a hundred including
shipping (on sale), about $120 normally plus shipping. There is nothing set
up on the puters to access the router to make it work. All configuration of
the router (and it was a breeze) is done on the router by telneting into to
it. You just enter its IP address into the browser. Setting up the two
ninety eight machines to access the internet through the router was pretty
easy. I do not have the Linux or XP set up to access the internet (Yet).

Our two 98SE machines and one Linux machines do not have firewalls on them.
They do have NAV. My laptop, running XP PRO does have the MS built in
firewall running. (How ever I do not have it set up for the network yet.
Seems that XP wants to control the whole darn thing).

Hope this may be of help to you.

Life is what happens in between plans.

Virus free email by Norton's
This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and/or entity to
confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
not the addressee, or authorized to receive this on behalf of the addressee,
you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose, or distribute
to anyone this message or any part thereof. If you have received this in
error, please immediately advise the sender by e-mail and delete this
information. Thank you