-=PCTechTalk=- Re: computer security

  • From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 19:30:13 -0400

Hi Bob,

My router died, or at least it looks to be the router, so I'm not getting
anything done towards setting up the network I wanted to do while my
roommate is away.

I am contemplating going wireless this time because we want to get a laptop
soon and will want it to be wireless.

What is WEP and WPA?  Is there a firewall that will shield my home wireless
network form drive by hackers?  Or is the protection required more complex
than that.

The problem with the router:

With either or both computers plugged into it we can not access the
internet.  Plugging each computer directly into the modem works fine though.

Don