-=PCTechTalk=- Re: can someone try this??

  • From: ~OoO~ <sirtroth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:30:27 -0400

Its not as many as it seems.

You need an antivirus, obviously. You use only one of these. Some people =
use two, but its not recommended, assuming you're running both in the =
background (having one running all the time and one just for manual =
scans is fine though).

Then you need a firewall. A firewall will not catch a virus by =
definition, but it could stop the virus's payload should it involve =
transmitting data over the net or receiving data (as in self-updating).

For other malware, you have Spybot and Ad-Aware, which never seem to =
find the same things. There are just too many ad/spy apps out there that =
logically two programs will use their own methods to find and remove =
these. So, these two fall nicely into the category.

MS AntiSpyware is a very good product as well, and (what I like) it runs =
in the background to try and prevent infections. Further... I have mine =
set to do an autoscan every morning at 4:00am (obviously, you need your =
computer on all the time for something like this).

While Ad-Aware and Spybot are REACTIVE (in that they REACT to the threat =
that is already installed), SpywareBlaster is PROACTIVE... its purpose =
is not to remove anything on your system but rather to make changes to =
prevent infections. I don't know exactly what these changes are, but the =
point is you can run it, scan, and then uninstall it should you desire, =
and the protection will still remain. Its changes made to your system.

SpyGuard is like memory-resident spyware scanner. On the manufacturer's =
website they compare it to an antivirus program. The manufacturer's site =
says this:

"An anti-virus program scans files before you open them and prevents =
execution if a virus is detected - SpywareGuard does the same thing, but =
for spyware! And you can easily have an anti-virus program running =
alongside SpywareGuard."

So... this all covers your 'basic' security.

The other percentage of your security responsibility is, obviously, =
watch what you download and run on your system.

---Troth

From: Guy Mallard=3D20

--=20
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.