-=PCTechTalk=- Re: another stupid question...

  • From: Robert Carneal <carnealr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 14:07:09 -0500

Yes, you can get an +update+ however that is not the complete program. It
is just an update. Without the original there to update, it doesn't help.

I just downloaded a copy of IE6, and it was 7 minutes 41 seconds, BUT I
have a cable connection. I did have a formula for computing how long a
similar download in 56.6 modem would take, but I can't find it.

Over the top of my head and guessing A LOT, I think it translates for 33.6K
modem this way:
790bps cable takes 6 minutes and 30 seconds  works out to 28 hours, 40
seconds on a 33.6 modem.
If I have that correct, then working proportionally, I get -about- 17 hours
for IE6 +full and compete version+ on a 56.6 modem. It can be done easily
enough, but if other people in the home attempt to make phone calls while
the download is in progress, it might disconnect. (Remember, 33.6 is
*slower* than the 56.6, a lot slower)

I downloaded a full version of Netscape on a 56.6 modem- I waited until
everyone was in bed and started the download and went to bed. It was still
downloading come morning- but I had the phones unplugged so no one would
cut it off.

Thinking,  do you have a dial up modem or a CD from your isp? If so, there
is a fair chance that IE6 is on it. That would be much faster.

Robert