-=PCTechTalk=- Re: XP Home Boot Problem

  • From: "Fred Ward" <Fred.Ward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 22:27:31 +0100

Don,

My comments added to your text.

Regards,

Fred

----- Original Message -----

> Does his computer offer a chance to open a boot menu or to boot directly
> a diagnostics partition?   If so, run the diagnostics appropriate for the
> hard drive and for the drivers/operating system.

Yes, F8 brings up a boot menu, but the diagnostic option just hangs in the
same way as the others.

> If it is desired to save any data on the hard drive before you format or
> install the OS, try installing it in a second computer as a slave, then
> backup any data.  Or, if he has a spare drive laying around or can buy
one,
> install it and then format and install windows and then install the bad
> drive as slave and so on.

Agreed, I've got spare drives of sufficient capacity and have done
re-installs many times.

> Some computers that do not come with a recovery CD or System install CD
have
> a Recovery partition on the hard drive.  Check the owners manual to see
how
> to access that.  It might be the same as or similar to or accessible
through
> the diagnostics partition if it exists.

This has a recovery partition, but the process starts by reformatting -
therefore destroying everything! I am trying to avoid this if at all
possible.

> Some manufacturers maintain websites that include troubleshooting charts,
> email support and owner forums to provide support.  There may also be a
> download page where you can input the computers serial number and get a
list
> of required drivers or even the drivers themselves.

Not in this case unfortunately.

> Does the ntbtlog identify the driver that is hanging?  Is the system.log
> file critical to a successful boot or is it simply a diagnostics tool?  If
> the system.log file is bad can you delete it and then the system creates a
> new one on the next boot?

Several points here. The last driver mentioned in ntbtlog is not bad, so
can't be identifying the cause of the hang. Deleting the system.log file
does clear the file corruptions and it is created again on the next boot -
but its corrupted again and I can't see the contents even with a hex editor.

> You said you tried copying drivers from your computer.  I wouldn't think
> that would help (and might hurt) unless it is very near identical to the
bad
> computer.

It only overwrote drivers that were present on both PCs - a manual check
before the copy showed they were the same version. Without the manual check,
I agree it could be very dangerous.

> What was the computer doing just before the problem was discovered?

I have to say I can't get a very clear answer to this question (it was one
of the first I asked). I do know that he was not into loading lots of
software or games and a look through the program files shows that the
programs installed are small in number and very common - so no clues there.