-=PCTechTalk=- Re: What is Micr$oft XPS Document Writer and

Don,
    Nearly any document writer type thing that appears in the Printers area
can be traced back to another program that was added.  These non-printers
allow you to send open files to your own hard drive in a different format.
For example, if I open up an image of a page filled with graphics and text
within OmniPage (an OCR program), I can then use the Document Writer printer
it installed (it's got the same name as yours) to save the result in one of
several formats.  I also have 3 more of those that all create PDF files.
I'm not having the same trouble printing an image as you've described here
and I have no idea if using it affected her originals.  Right click on an
Image file and see if it offers a "Print using ..." option.  If it does,
that process may offer an option to reset the default to what she wants.

    Before you get rid of it completely, you really should figure out what
other app installed it (just in case it's needed for that app).  MS
developed the utility, but it most likely was installed by someone else's
program.  To remove the driver, just right click on its entry in the
Printers folder and select Delete.

"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"