-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Web site building 101?

  • From: "Anitra" <anitra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 12:23:20 -0800

I'm here. I'm not dead in the water, but slowly picking my
way.

The easy part: The file is backed up to a stick AND your
email is, as well  :)

Next: I do understand the "middle man" in web hosting,
as you explained it.  I'll be working on finding one. I
could not possibly host from this aging machine in front
of me  ;)  Maybe my ISP plan includes web hosting - I
have to ask them. I don't get billed since this is a trade
for tower space, and I can't remember more than five
years of free internet.. is it called wi-fi.. I think? Maybe.

I have all my images. Earthlink (Trellix) did not provide
anything that I used, just the templates, and I didn't like the
restrictions of them.
My site is small, simple and *very* non-commercial.

I do not have Frontpage. Yesterday and today I have found
and downloaded a couple of programs that may or may not
be similar. Alleycode and Nvu. I opened the both and felt
vaguely faint  ;)  I'm as bad as a man when it comes to
reading instructions  :D   But will get to it.

About learning HTML from scratch: Yes, I could do that,
and I'm familiar with seeing it. My downfall is bad typing.

My pride, and current lack of money (and having no real
*need* for a web site) prohibits me from giving this project
away to a pro - and I do like learning new things.

So, in closing - for now.. - I just have to get into the soft-
ware and see if it's what I think it is. Then I'll get back here
with what I learned and what I did not yet.  Thank you so
much for hanging in there with me!

    Anitra in Pioneertown, California