-=PCTechTalk=- Re: WINDOWS MAIL IN TROUBLE

  • From: G <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 22:48:31 -0400

Jan,
    It's not the total capacity that's important.  It's how much free space
is currently available that's our main concern.  If you plug it into the
computer, right click on the drive letter Windows assigns for it and click
Properties from the menu, it'll tell you exactly how much space is free.

    However, I just had the thought that you may be seeing the effects of
having files that are too deeply buried in subfolders.  I have no idea if
you were following along with my discussion of this problem with Don, but
the gist of it is that Windows has a limit on how long a file path can be
before it has problems copying & moving those files (that includes burning,
too).  For example, if the file is located at:

D:\MULTIMEDIA\SOUNDS\INCOMING AUDIO\!Sound Effects\The Empirer Has No
Clothes\!Voices\LEVEL01\BZG_HNGR07_BZG_HNGR07.WAV

    Chances are pretty good that it's too deeply buried for Windows to be
able to handle it properly.  However, if you move things around a bit and
shorten it to

D:\MMEDIA\SOUNDS\NEW\!SEffects\The Empirer Has No
Clothes\!Voices\LEVEL01\BZG_HNGR07_BZG_HNGR07.WAV

    You may have shortened it enough for Windows to do its thing without an
issue.  All it takes is for one file to have too long a path to mess up your
plans.