-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Vista Network Setup

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 16:26:18 -0400

Is your boyfriend knowledgeable in the ways of the tech?      lol

If he is, ask him if he took the router out of DHCP mode.  DHCP allows the
router to automatically assign internal network IP addresses as needed (i.e.
when a new computer such as your laptop is 'discovered' and has the right
credentials/key).  Also, your laptop may be trying to use a different
encryption method than the one in use by his router.  Different methods may
include WEP (weak), WPA (good) & WPA2 (best).

Peace,
Gman