-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Virtual Memory

  • From: davisunit <davist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 10:12:00 -0400

Basically, when physical (fast) ram that is installed on the motherboard
is being consumed by programs, and the computer needs more, it will
resort to converting a portion of the hard drive to virtual (slow) ram.
Possible reasons for errors could be:  You are pushing the limits of
your physical ram, and your hard drive free space is running low (so can
no longer rely on required virtual ram), or Windows itself or a program
is not functioning properly, or the Virtual memory settings are not what
they should be, or a corrupted swap file, etc.

Easiest start is to confirm you have enough free space on the hard drive.

Terry