-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Vanished Sound Update (long)

  • From: "Dr. Benway" <benwaydr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:08:31 -0800 (PST)

Hello Again,

I am less scattered today. I have restored some
damaged files on the system that were unrelated to my
sound problems but are indicative that I screwed up
big time. I think I have now narrowed the problem to
the following. But first a deja vu. I lost everything
a couple of years ago and one thing was another list
that dealt with specific audio problems. Some people
are here I hope that remember that one. Anyway it
seems to me that I had a similar problem then and
solved it so I would like to access the archives.
Please write me off list if you know what I'm
referring to.

Anyway here goes.
1. The problem started with a conflict between mmtask
and wstream.dll. This caused a totally unstable
system. I renamed wstream.dll to wstream.d and
eliminated the crashing problem but that may have
killed my sound. I restored wstream but the crash
problem returned so the solution is not in that
direction besides there were still no system sounds.

2. The version of directx on this system is
4.09.00.0902 which I think is version 9b running under
win98se. My old system was directx 6 running under
win98 (not se). I don't think directx is the source of
the problem though (hope).

3. The problem seems to be with Crystal PnP Audio
System CODEC. Systems resources reports that the
driver is not installed although it is on the
harddrive and it also says I should continue to use it
!?!!!. Also it sometime says that another device is in
control of the sound card. It would be nice if that is
all I have to do (ie. reinstall the drivers) but I
don't think so because there is a disabled device - ms
gives no info on what it is but it is a crystal drive
of some sort. Ms also identifies "unknown problems" -
and they call that a diagnostic!! The Crystal FM
synthesizer works (but not the microsoft synthesizer)
and the midi mapper works - so the sound card produces
sound. I have however no system sounds or sound from
the cd r/w.

4. The problem seems to be related to giga synth which
I have since uninstalled. The wstream seems to have
been used by that program at least.

Question - is there anyway of finding out what
programs might be using wstream.dll.
Question - my sound troubleshooters do no work under
help. They offer me a choice of problem (eg. no sound)
but when I click on next I get a blank screen. This
might mean corrupt help files but it might also point
to the Crystal plug and pray situation above (i.e. no
sound device).

4. Does anyone know what a file called dxm6patch
(p_981116.exe /Q:A) is? This loads at startup.

Sorry to be so long here. All I could afford was this
used machine and I have no manuals and have yet to
crack open the case. (ah. so many errors to make, so
little time) The machine is a dell optiplex gx1 with
pent2 400. My virus scanner is up to date and the
machine is clean. I even used online ones just in
case. Sad to say it appears to be pilot error on this one.

=====