-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Upgrading RAM

  • From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 22:48:20 -0400

Depending on the overall speed and efficiency of your system you may notice
an improvement when you add additional RAM.  If you are making a significant
increase (from  256 MB to 512 or 1024 MB) that will be your most
siginificant source of speed improvement.

Upgrading from 266MHz to 333MHz may make a noticeable difference but no
where near the improvement the increase in RAM will make.

If you mix the old 266 MHz RAM with new 333MHz RAM, it will all operate at
266MHz.

If the price difference is negligible I would buy all new RAM at 333MHz.
Otherwise, I would just add more 266MHZ RAM.

Please note that I think this laptop was designed to run cool.  Hence the
cooler (and cheaper) Celeron and probably a slow harddrive (42-4500 RPM).  I
certainly would think twice about spending any more money than upgrading to
512MB 266MHZ RAM in an attempt to speed it up.

Don
---
Just back from a nice 2 week vacation.  Please bear with me as I catch up.