-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Transfering to new PC (2) Questions...

  • From: "Donna&Skip" <do1212sk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 00:14:47 -0400

Okay, the old PC does have two USB 1.1 ports. So I could get a USB cable and
hook up USB -to- USB, from the older Win98 PC to the newer WinXP one ...

But I'm too inexperienced here; what happens next? Do the two PCs  O/S's
recognize each other automatically? I still don't understand how files are
transferred after the two USB ports are connected via one wire? Will
Explorer in the new PC then see both HDs??
Thanks,
drummer

Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Transfering to new PC (2) Questions...

> You could use a crossover Cat5 cable, or Judith's suggestion for USB
> cable (assuming old pc has USB ports).  Or a USB thumb drive is always
> handy for transferring files..
>
> Terry
>
> Donna&Skip wrote:
>
> >Network the two PCs together? How? Can it be done off-line somehow?
Because
> >if I need to do it thru the DSL lines then it requires a router and
> >re-wiring and different DSL codes and setups, right? And that might then
be
> >more trouble, and more expensive, than a $50 external Zip drive, no?
(We're