-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Thunderbird

  • From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:14:05 -0500

Yeah, there's a communication breakdown somewhere.  To change the
password in T-bird, follow the instructions I gave earlier.  We'll
assume that you have the correct password for the account.

As far as the account not being listed under Tools>Options>Advanced
 >Saved Passwords>View Saved Passwords; if it's not listed, then it
doesn't exist in T-bird.  So try creating it from scratch, but don't
check the box that says 'Save Password' when you go to check your email.
  Then each time you check email, you'll have to enter the password.
This will let you know that it's working and after a few times, you can
save the password.

Criminy!  I just looked again and noticed the button in the lower right
'Show Passwords'.  Click on it and all the passwords are shown in plain
text.  Security Alert: If you use passwords and they are the same as the
ones for your email, make sure no one has access to your computer.

To remove all settings for any program when using XP, after uninstalling
the program, go to C:\Documents and Settings\%yourusername%\Application
Data and delete or move any folders relating to the application you just
deleted.  Remember, with Win2K and XP, settings get stashed in several
places, in Program Files and under the user that installs the program.

To set up any POP account, you need 4 things:  The POP server (for
incoming mail), the SMTP server (for outgoing mail), the user name and
the password.  These should be available at the website used to setup
the account.  Such as pop.yahoo.com or mail.netscape.com or
pop.atl.bellsouth.net.  The username is usually chosen by the person
creating the account and the password may be also or randomly assigned
by the website.  Most passwords are case sensitive.

Again, if the account is not listed in that box, then it doesn't exist
in T-bird.

Tom

ps- I'm on your side.  I understand what you're trying to do, I'm just
trying to cover all the bases.  If the account will sometimes retrieve
email and then sometimes it won't, the problem is more than likely NOT
with your system or setup, but with the mail server running for that
account.