-=PCTechTalk=- Re: The Hangman cometh!

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 15:51:10 -0400

Roger,
    Further research has show me that the cause of this could pretty much be
anything.   No thanks are necessary as I am happy to have been able to
eliminate so many possible suspects for you.

    According to MS, this problem was fixed with the first Service Pack
release for XP.  You just installed the 3rd, which presents me with an
opportunity to ask an important question.  Did you first install either SP1
or SP2 before installing SP3?  If not, we may have found the problem (and
you may experience more before all is said & done).  One of the
prerequisites of installing SP3 is that the OS should already have been
updated to at least SP1 beforehand.  SP3 contains all of the updates
included in SP2, but will install fine over it without issue.

    There are still many other possible situations that can lead to this
issue, but since you did just update to SP3, I'd like to finish discussing
that possibility before moving onto more technical stuff.