-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Slipstreaming and cloning WAS: Re: Email Clients . . . 2 at once?

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 00:53:31 -0400

Don,
    If you know where to look, there are literally thousands of things that
can be added or slipstreamed into an installation.  There are also utilities
that let you bring up menus so you can choose which of a set of apps you
wish to employ on a given Win installation (WPI, for example).  Nearly every
viable tool for doing these things has a related forum and/or repository for
many of the add-ons that can be used with them.  I will one day get around
to searching through at least some of these for possible inclusion in my own
project.  I know we've discussed some of these over the list before, so I'm
not going into heavy details here.       lol

    I recall seeing something about slipstreaming Office into a Windows
disk.  I'll send in a link if I come across it again.

    Test your creation in a VM before committing it to a blank.  Chances are
good that this advice will prevent you from creating at least a few
coasters.  There are several approaches for maintaining your own copy of
relevant Windows Updates so that you won't need to put your system online
until after they have all been installed.  Again, I'm not up to that point
in my own project, so I don't have enough details to provide here.

    I have not used ATI's sandbox and probably never will since VPC does
pretty much everything I need.  I will be testing out VMWare's offering
eventually though, just to keep MS honest.     :O)

Peace,
Gman