-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Shoot! -My modem is not good for wyfi?

  • From: "DO1212SK" <do1212sk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:39:06 -0400

Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Shoot! -My modem is not good for wyfi?
That depends.

If both the modem and your computer have RJ45 sockets, all you will need
is a wireless router.

If your computer is missing the RJ45 socket you will need a network
adapter card for your computer also.

If the modem is missing the RJ45 socket you will need to replace the
modem with one that has one.

Note:  Some DSL modems have a built in wireless router.  That is what
Verizon wants you to get from them with the upgraded service.
Don

Okay Don, thanks...
My older workhorse PC is an eMachines T3114 with added RAM. Info sticker
says it has a " 56K ITU V92 Ready/Fax modem" and a network setup called
"10/100 Ethernet LAN For DSL or Cable Connectivity".
So does that include a wireless capability so I could make both it and the
new laptop wyfi? Or if not, could I then keep it still on "the wire" from a
new wyfi capable modem while installing and using an addl wyfi laptop?

IOWs, If I buy a new wyfi capable modem with a RJ45 socket, (and I suspect
I'll have to), then can this modem also still hook up to a PC that requires
a "wire"? (-I don't really feel all that secure about opening my PC's case
to install another adapter card, and taking the big case to a PC shop is a
bit expensive and a minor hassle that I'd like to avoid if I can..?)
Also, if I do buy the new modem, do I then also have to get a router also?
And does this router then go before or after the modem in the data flow
chain?

I suspect none of this is terribly difficult, but I'm the type who needs to
get the details straight in his mind or else I'll be running back and forth
to the PC store buying and returning things! ">})

And the FIOS ISP may indeed be a good improvement for some, but I agree with
you that it costs too damn much!  Also, if I don't need it, I don't like
being told by any corporation that "I have to buy it!" (Which is also why I
still use and luv WinXP. -I'm a real Luddite, I guess..!)
Thanks all,
Greywoulf

in the Subject.