-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Sandy's Stupid External :-)) And maybe a 2nd one too.

  • From: "Don101" <don101@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:48:37 -0400

A question arose about the drive listings when you click on "Safely
remove...".  I don't remember seeing an answer yet so I will take a
stab at it.

A USB drive typically has three lines in the Safely remove hardware
dialog box.

Line 1 is the top of the tree and is a generic identifier: USB MASS
STORAGE DEVICE

Line two specifically identifies the physical drive and is indented
under line one like subfolders are indented in a folder tree.  My
drive's line two looks like this:  WD 2500BEV External USB Device

Line three is indented below line two and identifies (what I think is)
the only partion/logical drive on the physical drive.
Mine line three looks like this:  Generic volume - (H:)

I suspect that if I had partitioned the drive there would be a fourth,
fifth and so on line also indented under line two [as shown below:
(I:) and (J:)]

Formatting will likely not hold, but here is a rough estimate of what
it looks like (I and J added as examples):

USB Mass Storage device
        WD 2500BEV External USB Device
                    Generic Volume - (H:)
                    Generic Volume - (I:)
                    Generic Volume - (J:)

I assume (but will verify if the situation ever arises) that making
any one of the logical drives (H, I, J) safe would make the entire
physical drive safe to remove.

Don