-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Samsung Monitor flickering

  • From: Disastar <disastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 11:00:40 -0500

I see a lot of fixes for this monitor for Linux and MAC's, but not much for
Windows.  The problem appears to be a problem with the refresh rate.  Here
is an explanation I found with a fix if you are using NVidia video card:

"The problem is a defect in the 204Bs made in China. It's commonly known
(i.e. basically every 204B owner with a new, high-end card hits it), though
Samsung tech support either refuses to acknowledge it or somehow remains
ignorant of it (they were wholly useless to me on the phone and just wanted
to swap my 204B for another one... which I'd already done.) The 204B can't
handle the full 165 MHz transfer rate of DVI, and 1600x1200x24-bit gets
perilously close to it.

You can fix the issue as follows:

nVidia Control Panel -> Display -> Manage Custom Timings -> Create or Edit
(depending on if you have one for 1600x1200 at 60Hz or not) -> Advanced ->
switch the timing standard to "CVT Reduced Blank"

Once I set the timing to CVT Reduced Blank (which drops your refresh rate
from 60.00 Hz to 59.92 Hz), the blackouts and pixel snow went away
completely."

I'm really hoping you are using NVidia, but I'll keep looking if you use ATI
video card or perhaps even Intel built onto motherboard video.

Ed