-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Recycle bin

  • From: "~OoO~" <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 11:21:55 -0500

Some time ago, I used to use my own self-created recycle bin. Very simple to
do, and can almost create the type of recycle bin you mention Don. On your
desktop, you create a zip archive. Right-click the desktop, NEW, ZIP
ARCHIVE. Name it what you like, I named it RECYCLE.ZIP. Then, when you want
to dump something, you can just drag it to this icon, and Windows
automatically drops it into the zip archive just like a recycle bin. By
making this a zip file, anything dropped in there is zipped, so it also
saves more space than using the standard recycle bin. You can also create a
shortcut to that recycle.zip file. And, then you modify your right-click
context menu to include in its SEND TO option the zip file you just created.
Now, anything you want deleted, you can right-click, and SEND TO
RECYCLE.ZIP. Works just like a recycle bin and you can also double-click it
and open it like a standard folder if you're using XP or have any of the zip
tools installed. Now, you can keep what you want, and technically go in
there and manually delete things you know you won't need.

If anyone wants specific instructions on how to set this up, ask and I shall
tell.
:o)

---Troth