-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Quicken Backup-- CD Burning Software

  • From: "ted" <ted_clark@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 08:09:13 -0000

thanks tom, but can you please confirm or not that an 'open' burn cannot be
read.
it would be very useful to me and i'm sure many others if the data on an open
burn could be accessed.
cheers ted

Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 10:13:44 -0500
From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Quicken Backup-- CD Burning Software

If I might make a suggestion?  Set your Quicken backup to a folder on
the harddrive and create your primary backup there.  Then use a CD-R (I
can't think of anything I would recommend using a CD-RW for.) and copy
the files to the CD as often as you need to.  That will depend on the
amount of data you'll have to replace if the harddrive crashes.

In the CD burning program, use the data CD function.  You can also make
folders on the CD, such as Jan, Feb, Mar or 1stQtr, 2ndQtr or even by
weeks.  It just depends on how much data is involved.  For a personal
checkbook, I'd guess saving files once a week would be plenty.  For a
home business, daily would be better and writing files to CD each Friday
or Monday.  For a larger business, write the files to the CD daily and
then create a weekly and monthly backup as well.

Adding files and leaving the CD open or checking a box that says 'Allow
files to be added later.' is the way to do it.

As a warning, DO NOT use Windows XP's drag'n'drop feature or any of the
packet writing software (Nero's InCD or Roxio's DirectCD); these are
packet writing programs and, while there is wider acceptance of their
format, there are still machines that will not read the CD's created
this way.  This is a backup you are creating and you need to have the
most acceptable format so it can be read anywhere.

Tom