-=PCTechTalk=- Re: QuickTime

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 01:26:20 -0400

Beverly,
    Again, I apologize for only being half here when you were first going
through this issue.  Had I been more 'on the ball', I would never have given
you instructions for XP (which obviously don't work under Win98) multiple
times.

    So, we now have a seemingly working copy of Firefox that can even open
the aforementioned unopenable page.  That's great since it lets us focus on
getting the to the rest of the fix for all of your system's ailments.  The
first thing you need to do is to save this now working profile somewhere so
it doesn't get damaged.  I believe I suggested that you save part of it in
your My Docs folder earlier.  You should now go into your My Docs and delete
whatever you saved back then.  Next, right click on this new
"4y5qnqh7.default" profile folder we've been repairing and select Copy from
the menu.  Go back into your My Docs, right click on a blank area and select
Paste from the same menu.  You'll once again see your profile copied to the
MyDocs folder, but you also know that it's a fully functional one (as well
as where it belongs if something happens to the original).

    Once you've made your MyDocs copy of your profile folder, use Add/Remove
to uninstall Firefox.  We're doing this so that there's no way QT will be
able to exert any influence over Firefox when we next reinstall that.  In
most cases, Firefox will not automatically remove your profile folder
(although it will probably be offered as an option you should refuse), just
in case you decide to reinstall it again in the future (which we WILL be
doing).  However, we will also have the Copy in MyDocs, just in case
something goes slightly askew.  Once Firefox has been uninstalled, reboot
and then install QuickTime again.  Feel free to set it up the same way you
did before, since Firefox will be about as hidden as possible (uninstalled
is even better than hidden).  Once QT is installed, go ahead and install or
retest your pattern making program.  If it exhibits any issues or oddities
at all, let me know before going any further.  We want that application
working flawlessly before we delve back into reinstalling the browser.

    I'll be heading off to bed soon (and I suspect you will be, too), so
we'll pick up on this when I get home tomorrow evening.        :O)