-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Problem with modem

  • From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:40:33 -0500

Bob,

You may have misconstrued what I was saying.  I don't think this group, or
any other for that matter, is getting too bossy.

The request to trim excess material from a reply is legitimate.  And so far
all requests have been reasonably polite.  So I have no complaint there.

My complaint was that some members have been deleting EVERYTHING, and then
not placing enough in their own message to make it understood what the heck
they are talking about.

A group owner or moderator has the right, some might say the RESPONSIBILTY,
to set some rules of participation and then ENFORCE them.  I have no
objection to that either.  EL-M @ Yahoogroups is a good example about
enforcing trimming rules.  In one of the Gmail support groups almost nobody
quotes anything.... I unsubbed after reading through the first batch of
messages downloaded.

About IRC.... I have never done that before.  What is it?  How is it
accessed?  Is it moderated in some way (I dislike Yahoo Chat rooms because
of all the bots pushing porn)?

While a chat channel may be a useful tool, I doubt it will be that effective
because it is hard to work on a computer and be in a chat room switching
back and forth, reconfiguring, installing and rebooting and etc etc etc.
In a group, you can post a question, get some answers, print them out, try
them out, take some notes, log back in and report results all at your
leisure.  A chat room is more real time, do it now while I'm online type of
thing.

But, I will be a supporter and see how it works out.  I'll try (almost)
anything once... <evil grin and a wink>

Don
---
Do YOU want a gmail account invitation?  Include your email address in the
body of a
private message to dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx