-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Problem with Windows Firewall

  • From: TimR <timr1ca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:13:03 -0800 (PST)

Nope doesnt work.

I have it at automatic. I get this error:
Could not start Windows Firewall / Internet Connection Service on
local computer.
Error 10047 An address incapable with requested protocol was used.

Service Status: stopped.

Something is blocking or preventing it to run again...

TimR
timr1ca@xxxxxxxxx

Hi Tim
Right click MY COMPUTER,
left click MANAGE and then select SERVICES.
Then click on the plus sign next to SERVICES and APPLICATIONS
and left click SERVICES. You will then see the tree expand.
Scroll down on the list at right until you see Windows Firewall.
Right click on it and select PROPERTIES.
In the Startup Type, select Automatic.

I hope this helps

Mike ~ one of the Moderators
It is a good day if I learned something new.
Editor MikesWhatsNews http://www.mwn.ca/

******* Mike's REPLY SEPARATOR *********

On 2/14/2005 at 4:41 PM TimR wrote:

I have Sp2 installed. That was the Security Center I mentioned in my
question!
and I couldnt enable it by clicking on FW as I also mentioned in my post...

So how may I fix this problem?
uninstall / re-install something?

TimR
Mike wrote:
Hi Tim,
you don't mention if you have XP SP2 installed, I recommend it for the added
security features.

It adds a Security Center Icon in the Control panel.
You should be able to enable it from there by clicking on Firewall.

There are better free firewalls available, the Windows one does not block
all outgoing traffic;
(spyware phoning home).
I have been using the free Zone Alarm one for several years.

Mike

******* Mike's REPLY SEPARATOR *********

On 2/14/2005 at 12:38 PM TimR wrote:

Yesterday I had Imesh and Kazzaa removed because they were rejected by the
Microsoft Antispyware and removed the spyware off my system and can no
longer use Kazaa to d/l some favorite songs any more w/o these spyware
infecting
my system.

However, in doing so, somewhere, somehow, something knocked out my Windows
Firewall. and I've been at it for hours trying to figure out how to get it
back on...

OS: Win XP Pro
S N I P