-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Partition Drive

  • From: "tempting2taanzaa" <tempting2taanzaa@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 23:21:42 -0500

Ok, I think I will take the plunge tomorrow and let you know what happens.
But, if you have further information to give, I will still be available to
read since I have my other laptop standing by in case something flubs...:)

Ok, but here is the one other question I have.  I don't have a retail
version of Windows Vista only a recovery CD which will put the computer back
to out of the box state.  Would I need a retail version to partition the
drive?

____________reply separator____________

I've sent in several tutorials on this just over the last year.  We just got

in from our monthly food shopping and I need to separate and repack the
meats in a few minutes, so I have to make this quick.

Your best bet is to back up your system and then start from scratch.  After
the backup is made and double checked, you can use the first OS install to
recreate your partitions (Disk Manager won't be available until after the
install).  The second, third of fourth screen you'll see includes a button
called "Advanced".  Click on it and tell the install that you want to choose

the partition used for the installation.  When it gets to that point in the
install, you'll be given the option to Delete &/or create as many partitions

as you'd like.  If the entire hard drive is already partitioned, you'll have

to first delete that partition before you can break it up into smaller
chunks.

Based on a 110GB drive
If your main OS is XP, I would give the first volume at least 20GB.  If it's

Vista, I'd go with 25GB as the minimum.  These numbers assume that you will
host your Documents folder on another partition and install all programs to
another partition.  If this is not part of the plan, these suggested sizes
increase dramatically.  Since this first one will always be an OS volume,
it'll need to be designated as a Primary partition (should be the default
option).

The next partition will hold Win7 as part of a dual-boot setup.  I don't
know what the specific requirements or 'growth over time' patterns are for
W7, so I'm going to assume they're similar to Vista.  Make the second volume

at least 25GB (I'm again assuming the situation above), but this time, set
it as a Logical drive.

You should then create a third Logical drive out of all of the remaining
space as a host for your Docs, Program Fiels folder and anything else you
wish to keep separated from the OS's (I try to separate a lot more than I
usually recommend, so ask if you're not sure of something).

Then, tell the install to continue.  The moment the install is done, you'll
want to install tell the OS to Move/use the third volume for the items
listed above.  The methods for doing this depend on the OS, so I'll let you
digest this much and come back when you're ready to learn more.      :)

Peace,
Gman

in the Subject.