-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Partition Drive

  • From: dsw32952 <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 23:38:00 -0400

I'm doing the same thing so I'll be paying close attention so I don't
have to go back and dig through the archives.  I want to move everything
I possibly to a separate drive than the OS and will want to change the
default program installation folder as well as relocate email/address
book, documents and anything else possible.

Can some of this be done using TweakUI or similar free programs.  I
could go back into nLite to do some but, but this last build has given
me too many problems and I don't want to go through that again.

I've already partitioned and formatted and installed XP and Vista so I'm
ready when ever Tempting2taanzaa is.

Don

My system is a bit different:
Vista Home Premium
XP Pro
160GB hard drive for the OSs and a 500GB hard drive for everything else.
Quad Core AMD Phenom
6GB RAM

Gman wrote:
> I've sent in several tutorials on this just over the last year.  We just got
> in from our monthly food shopping and I need to separate and repack the
> meats in a few minutes, so I have to make this quick.
>
> Your best bet is to back up your system and then start from scratch.  After
> the backup is made and double checked, you can use the first OS install to
> recreate your partitions (Disk Manager won't be available until after the
> install).  The second, third of fourth screen you'll see includes a button
> called "Advanced".  Click on it and tell the install that you want to choose
> the partition used for the installation.  When it gets to that point in the
> install, you'll be given the option to Delete &/or create as many partitions
> as you'd like.  If the entire hard drive is already partitioned, you'll have
> to first delete that partition before you can break it up into smaller
> chunks.
>
> Based on a 110GB drive
> If your main OS is XP, I would give the first volume at least 20GB.  If it's
> Vista, I'd go with 25GB as the minimum.  These numbers assume that you will
> host your Documents folder on another partition and install all programs to
> another partition.  If this is not part of the plan, these suggested sizes
> increase dramatically.  Since this first one will always be an OS volume,
> it'll need to be designated as a Primary partition (should be the default
> option).
>
> The next partition will hold Win7 as part of a dual-boot setup.  I don't
> know what the specific requirements or 'growth over time' patterns are for
> W7, so I'm going to assume they're similar to Vista.  Make the second volume
> at least 25GB (I'm again assuming the situation above), but this time, set
> it as a Logical drive.
>
> You should then create a third Logical drive out of all of the remaining
> space as a host for your Docs, Program Fiels folder and anything else you
> wish to keep separated from the OS's (I try to separate a lot more than I
> usually recommend, so ask if you're not sure of something).
>
> Then, tell the install to continue.  The moment the install is done, you'll
> want to install tell the OS to Move/use the third volume for the items
> listed above.  The methods for doing this depend on the OS, so I'll let you
> digest this much and come back when you're ready to learn more.      :)
>
> Peace,
> Gman

in the Subject.