-=PCTechTalk=- Re: PC Remote Control

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:29:00 -0400

Sandi,
    The main difference between the registry and Explorer is that the
registry doesn't have actual folders that you can double click.  The
registry has "keys" that are designed to look like folders, but they only
show up in the left pane (the side you use to navigate around all of the
various settings).  When you get to the key you wish to examine, you click
directly on the key and its contents are revealed in the right pane.  While
they are actual settings, they look similar to how an Explorer file list
appears in Details mode.  To modify a setting, double click on an area of
the line in the Name column and a box will open that allows you to change
the info displayed in the Data column.  Since you won't be doing any of
these double clicks, you won't be able to modify any of the settings.

    There is a little bit of mouse work, but I thought you might be less
nervous if I kept you away from it as much as possible.  It now appears that
you would be less concerned if you can use the mouse.  That's fine.  Just
remember that it's very similar to poking around in Windows Explorer.  You
only rename or delete a file if that's what you meant to do, right?  Same
thing with the registry and you're only looking to see what you find, not
make changes.  And you exit Regedit by X'ing out, just like you figured.

    All in all, I believe you're gonna be laughing about how scared you
"used to be" after you've gone through it once.        :O)

http://tinyurl.com/ypbuue

"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"