-=PCTechTalk=- Re: PC Remote Control

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 22:32:19 -0400

Cristy,
You only need this if you choose to not install their junk.
Here's the info you'll need to gather:

Somewhere in with all of the Earthlink junk, there's a text file
(phones.txt) that contains all of the phone numbers your modem can use to
call into the network.  Locate the file, open it in NotePad and look up your
location.  Write down the number for your area.  If there is more than one
number, write them all down.  Don't include any that are long distance.  Of
course, you'll also need to know your username & password.  To create a
dial-up connection, this is all the ISP specific info you'll need.  In my
opinion, the rest of the TotalAccess software is junk.  If it's already
installed, you might want to consider uninstalling it.

To make a connection, go into Control Panel and open up the Internet Options
applet.  You can also fire it up from the Start > Run box using
'inetcpl.cpl' (no quotes).  When it opens, go to the Connections tab and
click on the Add button.  Select "Dial-up to private network" and click
Next.  Type in the phone number you want your modem to use, without the "-"
in the middle.  If your area requires the use of the area code when dialing
locally, be sure to include it in this area, again without any "-" symbols.
Click Next.  Give this connection a name.  Oddly enough, I usually call it
something like "Earthlink Dial-up".  When you're done, click Finish and
another window will open.

Most folks only need to fill in the bottom part where it asks for your
username and password.  Most dial-up accounts (including Earthlink) don't
provide a Domain, so just leave that line blank.  If you're running through
a proxy server, you'll also want to fill in that part to make the connection
route through that proxy.  If you don't know what a proxy is, leave this
part blank.  Click the Properties button and make sure your modem is showing
at the top of the window.  If you have more than one number written down
from the earlier step, click on the Alternates button and use the Add button
to include the rest of them.  I like to check both of the boxes at the
bottom of this screen.  Next, click on the Options tab and choose what you'd
like the computer to do when you try to make a connection.  If you select
either of the "Prompt for ..." boxes, a window will come up when you try to
connect and it won't complete the connection until you click another button.
Uncheck both of these Prompt boxes if you'd rather have the computer just
dial in without your help.  If you don't use the firewall built into Windows
(appropriately called Windows Firewall), skip the next paragraph.

If you rely on Windows Firewall rather than a 3rd party firewall, click on
the Advanced tab, the Settings button, that new window's Advanced tab and
finally on the top Settings button to instruct the firewall of the services
you want it to allow.  Keep in mind that Remote Desktop is not the same
thing as Remote Assistance.  When you're done, click Ok and then click on
the Exceptions tab.  Here is where you can choose specific programs that the
firewall should allow.  After you're finished here, click OK to close the
firewall window.  This should bring you back to the Dial-up Connection
Property sheet window.

Click on the Networking tab.  At the top, it should say "PPP: ...".  If it
doesn't, click the drop down arrow next to it and select that one.  Click OK
to close that window and return to the Internet Options Property sheet.
Click OK to close that one, too.  That's all there is to it (well, other
than setting up your email app).

http://tinyurl.com/ypbuue

"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"