-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Outpost Firewall

  • From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <nunyabidness6@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 19:09:07 -0500

Then try adding those sites to both your restricted zones in IE and to your
content plugin in Outpost.  Should zap them and let WC run.  Sometimes when
you have a site you really want, you can track the ones you don't want in
the logs and block them through restricted zone and content blocking as a
blocked site.  It's a much better tactic that allowing referrers and
blocking those site by site.

On 6/18/2003 at 5:52 PM a whisper was heard, and the one known as taanzaa
was rumoured to have uttered....

          |  Well, they all seem to maybe coming from the same
          |  site...they always seem to be popups for
          |  lowermybills.com and orbitz....
          |

          |  --- "Wyatt M. Portendt" <nunyabidness6@xxxxxxxxx>
          |  wrote:
          |  > I've had a couple sites that needed popups to work,
          |  > but none that I go to
          |  > that need referrers.  That could be a problem
          |  > (hassle-wise) because you'd
          |  > have to enable referrers as the default and then
          |  > block them site by site
          |  > individually.  Not a fun way to go, and yes,
          |  > referrers are one popup
          |  > vehicle.  How much do you love weatherchannel?
          |  > There are a lot of them out
          |  > there that behave better.  You could look at the
          |  > logs and see where the
          |  > redirect is going and block those sites in your
          |  > restricted zone in IE if
          |  > they are coming from the same site(s).
          |  >
          |  >
          |  > On 6/17/2003 at 5:51 PM a whisper was heard, and the
          |  > one known as taanzaa
          |  > was rumoured to have uttered....
          |  >
          |  >           |  Ok, I'll do that....yes, I did enable
          |  > popup
          |  >           |  blocking
          |  >           |  but, one site that I frequent
          |  > (weatherchannel.com)
          |  >           |  won't load the doppler radar unless you
          |  > have the site
          |  >           |  referrer enabled (sure this is where
          |  > the majority of
          |  >           |  my popups come in at)....bummer....
          |  >           |
          |  >           |  --- "Wyatt M. Portendt"
          |  > <nunyabidness6@xxxxxxxxx>
          |  >           |  wrote:
          |  >           |  > Disable javascript for those sites.
          |  > In fact,
          |  >           |  > disabling javascript as the
          |  >           |  > default will stop many of them
          |  > without ad blocking.
          |  >           |  > You mentioned
          |  >           |  > filtering cookies, did you enable the
          |  > popup
          |  >           |  > blocking?
          |  >           |
          |  >           |
          |  >           |
          |  >           |  __________________________________
          |  >           |  Do you Yahoo!?
          |  >           |  SBC Yahoo! DSL - Now only $29.95 per
          |  > month!
          |  >           |  http://sbc.yahoo.com
          |  >           |  To unsub or change your email settings:
          |  >           |
          |  > //www.freelists.org/webpage/pctechtalk
          |  >           |  To access our Archives:
          |  > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCTechTalk/messages/