-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Outlook Express Backup 6.5

  • From: "Don101" <don101@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 21:48:53 -0400

Much of your response was already known or figured out but I know
others will learn from it.  What I did not know was that the restore
process would create a new identity rather than restore to the
existing, but so far unused, Main Identity.  Also didn't know about
the Identities key.

I think the restore did something to "hide" the new identity since
those folders are usually not seen.  The first thing I do on a new
install is set the View to show everything,  In desperation, I double
checked all those setting and found one set to hide instead of show.
Once I figured out what had happened everything was a piece of cake.
I searched for dbx files again.  Found them.  And the rest is history.

I am doing a third slipstreamed XP install build (see earlier wierd
message).  Once I install it on drive C: I will have a Main Identity.
I will use OE Backup to backup from the laptop and tell it to back up
only the one identity now code named Main Identity 1.  I will then go
to the new install and rename the exisiting Main Identity to some
other name so when the restore is done, I will be able to tell which
Main Identity is the REAL Main Identity.

Once that is identified I will move the message store to the portable
harddrive and I should be back in business.

Once I am certain everything is working right I will get rid of the
extra Main Identity.

Don