-=PCTechTalk=- Re: OT- TV converter box

  • From: "Don101" <don101@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:46:22 -0400

Old fashioned antennas may or not be sufficient to gather all possible
channels.  If you don't get what you expect, buy a new one.  Many of
them are far smaller and far superior to the old fashion fish
skeletons of the past.

A $50 converter will do little more than convert digital channels to
analog.  Some will also pass through any analog signals received but
the only benefit of that will be low power TV stations that are not
required to convert.  In the Orlando FL area all major analog stations
are duplicated on one of their digital channels.  Some stations have
several "channels".  That is why so many folks are raving about how
many more stations they are getting.  Actually they are different
channels of the same station.

The $50 RCA and Magnavox models sold at my Walmart work very well.

More expensive models add various features added.  Check
www.Komando.com.  Kim did a tip on these a few days ago.

The antenna I recommend is found here:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5000836  or
http://preview.tinyurl.com/TV-antenna

When looking for TV tuners for your computer be sure to look for ATSC
(digital) and NTSC (analog).
Clearance bins everywhere will be full of NTSC only tuners.  I do not
recommend them.