  From: GMan
  To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 3:54 PM
  Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: OT : Salt in the diet - And MUCH more!

  ML,
      If you're trying to avoid or cut down on the amount of salt in your
  diet, none of these are meant as a substitute.  Table salt, sea salt,
  iodized salt and kosher salt are ALL sodium and that's what most folks with
  these types of concerns are looking to limit.  If you wish to avoid salt,
  there are salt substitutes sold near the salt section of your favorite super
  (or not so super) market, but I won't ever trust them in my own body.

      Here are a few things that everyone should bear in mind when it comes to
  stuff like salt and sugar.  It's been less than 100 years since the concept
  of mass produced foods was refined into a marketable idea.  Back then, they
  were shunned by all but the laziest of housewives and bachelors.  I do
  realize that way of saying it is not exactly PC these days, but a man
  working with his woman tending to the home is simply how our culture was
  structured at that time.  There were also significant periods of time when
  there were no bachelors and far too many unwed ladies due of wars and
  certain terribly poor working conditions.  Eventually, a lot of those unwed
  gals were forced to go to work and that cut into the time they used to spend
  cooking and cleaning.  It was around that time that sales of mass produced
  foods and cleaning supplies started to really take off.  It should also be
  noted that these prepackaged foods I'm talking about were still REAL FOOD!
  Unfortunately for everyone AND their grandmother, once the food industry got
  started, they've been taking us downhill ever since.  Today's mass marketed
  foods (most of what you buy at those supermarkets) contain ungodly amounts
  of sodium (salt), glucose/sucrose/fructose (sugars) and non-food additives
  that are directly responsible for the widespread outbreaks of most of our
  common ailments including cancer, diabetes, early strokes, sclerosis,
  Osteoporosis, various heart diseases, etc..

      The problem is that these companies don't think about their customer's
  health at all.  Their focus is on profit for themselves and their
  stockholders as well as how they're doing compared to their competition (who
  are doing the same thing).  So, when a new process comes along that is
  cheaper than the previous process such as substituting high fructose corn
  syrup in everything instead of real sugar (something they only do in the US,
  I might add), our health suffers and their profits soar.  Spraying their
  fields with pesticides or playing God with bio-engineered seeds (mixing the
  DNA of the plants with that of other living things) that unnaturally repel
  bugs, make the veggies ripen faster &/or help to prevent 'leaf wilt' might
  give us cancer and a lot of other health problems, but it sure does reap big
  profits for them.  All of this stuff does mean that the resulting 'product'
  (it's no longer food) is not going to taste anywhere near as good as it used
  to.

      So, to increase the appeal of the garbage they 'prepare' for us to eat,
  they started adding more and more sodium & sugar-like substances to cover up
  the taste.  Never lose sight of the fact that as long as their stockholders
  are happy, so are they.  As a result, there's no way you're going to get
  around ingesting at least the stuff they add, unless you stop eating it.
  Just cutting down on the amount you add to foods will cause your taste buds
  to partially regenerate and less salty foods will once again start tasting
  salty.  The more you cut down on its use on your own plate over time, you'll
  become more and more sensitive to the taste and won't even want the 'extra'
  you've been accustomed to having all these years.  I NEVER use it when
  cooking since the added flavor just disappears anyway.  If someone wants
  more, they can add it to their own meal.

      If you want to try and get away from the whole processed foods mess,
  you'll need to seek out and develop a relationship with farmers (plant,
  dairy &/or animal, depending on your REAL food preferences) who don't use
  pesticides, steroids, bio-engineer seeds or other schemes for maximizing
  profits.  It won't be easy (even for most folks who live out in the
  'boonies') because this issue is much more widespread than anyone realizes.
  It will probably mean that you'll have some traveling to do in order to get
  to the farm and the stuff you buy there will most likely cost more than
  you're used to paying (for instance, there's an idiotic US law that dictates
  that you cannot 'buy' fresh dairy products directly from a farmer, so you'll
  need to become part of a co-op so that you legally own at least part of a
  cow - Thank Big Agriculture for that one), but you WILL be astounded by how
  much your family's overall health will improve.

      I'm sorry that this reply turned into such a rant, but info like this is
  so more important than most of what seems to capture our attention these
  days.  You folks are as important to me as my own family, so I'm glad the
  subject was brought up.  What we put into our bodies really does determine
  how well (and how long) we're able to enjoy life and I only want the best
  for you and your families.         :O)

  Peace,
  GMan
  http://reddit.com
  "The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"