-=PCTechTalk=- Re: : MailWasher program

  • From: "barnestoneworth" <barneystorm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:34:54 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "The Keyboard Cowboy" <KBCowboy@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 3:47 PM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: : MailWasher program

> The points made below are good.......add to it that any person/company
> sophisticated enough to do real SPAMming is also capable of reading
> the headers and determining that the E-Mail was not bounced....but
> returned by the sender.  YOUR e-mail addy is in the headers, not your
> ISP's.  A script can determine this automatically for the sender of
> SPAM -- and then you've validated your e-mail address.

Mailwasher DOESN'T send your e mail address

> SPAMers don't care.....they don't cull bad addresses, they just mail,
> mail, mail.
> Bouncing is a waste of time as it simply; a) uses bandwidth and
> increases loads on ISP (think of it this way, if every SPAM e-mail
> were bounced, we'd double the amount of e-mail caused by SPAM), b) it
> rarely if ever has a real affect of deleting you from the SPAMers
> list.

Not my experience..I got a drop of around 30%  when I started with
Mailwasher.

> If a SPAM catcher program cannot truly "bounce", what good is it?  You
> just add a layer of program and maintenance, not to mention cost, to
> your e-mail process.  You can filter your own e-mail just as well, and
> control it exactly how you want to.  I've tested many, many SPAM
> programs, and a few work quite well.  But when the day is done, after
> extensive testing of each new program, I come to the same
> conclusion.........there's no real advantage in using a SPAM program
> unless you simply do not want to make your own filters, or use a
> e-mail program that isn't capable of filtering well.  Frankly, in the
> latter case, I think your better of for many reasons to change E-Mail
> programs rather than using a SPAM program.  If your e-mail program
> isn't sophisticated enough to filter easily and well, it probably
> doesn't provide adequate security either!!

Mailwasher ISN'T a Spam catcher...at least it's not ONLY a Spam catcher, it
acts as a buffer which you can make a call on whether something  downloads
or not. Filtering out all  Spam these days - whatever mail program you use-
is virtually impossible. The more rules and filtering you employ, the slower
your e mail program works-even with a couple of rules in place, it slows it
down considerably...In that time, I can have all of the headers downloaded
into Mailwasher, tick to delete and/or bounce as I see fit and have only the
mail I want in my inbox.

Andy