-=PCTechTalk=- Re: MS NET Framework update

  • From: Disastar <disastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 01:40:09 -0500

Yes, for security purposes you should update all versions of .NET Framework
that is installed on your computer.  You might have several versions that
need updating.

What do I mean about having several versions you say???  Erm... that is a
more difficult question than you might realize.  First of all, off the top
of my head there are 3 versions of .net Framework.  Maybe more, I'm a little
confused at the moment if version 3 has two versions.  Hmm, I better look
this up... OK, there is v1.1, v2.0, v3.0, and v3.5.  I'm not 100% sure ATM
if v3.0 and v3.5 are separate versions or if v3.5 replaces v3.0.  There are
several patches and updates for each one as you can see here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework_version_list

You might be wondering which versions you actually need... I have no way of
knowing if you need them all or if you don't need any of them.  LMAO.
Sorry, this convoluted mess cracks me up.  Anyway, you only need a
particular version if you use a program that requires it.  Example: If you
install a program that requires v2 and you don't have v2 installed than it
will either ask if you want to install it or will tell you that you need to
install .NET v2 before you install that program.

WARNING:  If you are confused already then don't read the following because
it will blow your mind!

I found the info I was looking for...
- v1.1 is totally separate/different from the other versions.
- v3.0 uses and adds to v2 so the installer includes v2.0
- v3.5 uses and adds to v3.0 so the installer includes v2.0 and v3.0

Ed