-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Looking for advice

  • From: "Don101" <don101@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 08:05:12 -0400

I assume you are talking about real gaming and not just Freecell or Mah
Jong.  I also assume your multi-tasking will involve multiple windows of
multimedia editing.

Games are constantly getting more demanding on system resources, especially
the graphics.  Intensive editing of multimedia files is also, especially
when two or more windows are open to facilitate that editing.

Buy the fastest 64-bit dual, triple or quad core processor you can find, 3GB
of RAM (minimum with support for 8GB) and 512MB or 1GB video card with DVI
or HDMI outputs and support for 2 or more monitors.  If the video is
integrated into the motherboard be sure it has its own dedicated memory and
does not share system memory (an expansion card is better).  A power supply
and a cooling sytem that is more than just "good" or "adequate" is highly
recommended.  A 64-bit operating system, fast DVD burner and a large SATA
hard drive would be good too.

Can you skimp on any of that?  Sure.  But gaming and intensive multi-tasking
will start to bog down sooner than desired and maybe even right from the
start.  External drives can be easily added if needed, but RAM, video cards,
processors, cooling sytems and power supplies are not as easy.

Most major retailers do not sell a system like this.  Most mail-order,
internet and other "build-to-order" companies do not either unless the
system is specifically identified as designed for gaming, power-users or
overclocking.  Some offer limited, if any, upgrades to the cooling and power
systems.

Look to spend about $1,000 plus or minus $500.  If I have over estimated the
gaming and multi-tasking capabilities you need you can move towards the low
end of that range.

If you want to add a widescreen display add $200 to $750.  Gamers will
certainly go for the largest with the fastest response time.  Consider an
HDTV instead of a computer monitor.  A 32" Plasma Vizio is $547 at Wal-Mart.
A 42" is $747.  Smaller LCD HDTVs start under $300 which is not too much
more than a monitor.  For productivity uses a 22 or 26 inch would probably
be very adequate.

Gman will likely add additional advice, especially specific to tech specs of
the motherboard, chipset and GPU.

Don