-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Looking for advice

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 00:22:39 -0400

Hi Lisa,
    The best advice I could provide is that you're looking for a power-house
core system.  The best approach to getting one of these is to pick out the
parts individually, whether or not you are the one actually putting it all
together.  A regular computer maker or a boutique computer shop could make
you one, but they'll charge you through the nose for it.

    To serve you well with all of those more computationally intense
activities, you don't want to skimp on getting the best graphics card you
can get.  Although ATI has the current edge in gaming graphics, I would
recommend nVidia since you're looking to do so many other graphics intensive
tasks.   You'll want to make sure that is has at least a dual-core CPU and
is readily upgradeable to a quad (which means a top quality mainboard to
support everything).  Intel is currently far ahead of AMD in this area, but
be careful about choosing a good chipset in your mainboard decision.  You
want something that's going to be around for a while.  RAM support should be
for at least 8GB to somewhat future-proof the system, too.  If you have no
issues with replacing the mainboard in a few years, go with DDR2 since it's
much more mature (and still relatively cheap) compared to DDR3.  While it
probably goes without saying, the mainboard should support plenty of USB 2.0
ports for whatever you choose to throw at it in the future.

    There's a LOT of thought that needs to go into creating a system from
scratch and I've only just begun to scratch the surface here.  If you choose
to take this route and need help on a decision, you know where to find me.
;O)