-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Long post - Recipe Software

  • From: Keyboard Cowboy <KBCowboy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 20:36:52 -0500

I'm glad you're back onboard Dave.  Did you also note the site to download
thousands of recipes?
 Regards,

 Bob -- the "Keyboard Cowboy"
            ,,,,,,,,
           Õ¿Õ¬
 -----------<========<<0++0>>========>-----------
                 Cincinnati, OH -- Scottsdale, AZ
                          NRA Life Member
 -----------<========<<0++0>>========>-----------
 "There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkeys typewriters
and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of
Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true."

 --  Ian Hart

   -----------<========<<0++0>>========>-----------

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 19:16:49 -0500, David Weaver wrote:

|  Just stumbed on this message. My wife and I have used this program
|  in the past. We lost it for a while after we upgraded computer
|  systems and it got lost in the shuffle. Contacted the developer
|  with our old info and they gave us our info so we could download
|  and register. They are really nice people and the program is a
|  really nice piece of work. Started using it again and it's come
|  along way since we started using it back in the 90s.
|
|  Dave
|

|  Keyboard Cowboy wrote:
| |  Whelp!!  I've been a busy beaver this week.  As many of you
| |  know, I love cooking, and collecting cook books.  One of the
| |  things that drives me nuts, though, is it's hard to remember
| |  what cookbook what recipe was in.  I'm crazy about tools that
| |  give me power over tasks...........soooooooooooo.............I
| |  went looking for a recipe program that would allow me to manage
| |  a large number of recipes, be extremely stable, use little
| |  overhead resources on my computer, and be FAST!  Additionally,
| |  it was very important to me to be able to copy recipes from
| |  various sources like the internet, email groups, individual
| |  emails, word files, etc.  Having such a program would give me
| |  access to a huge store of recipes, and allow me to exchange
| |  recipes with friends and family too!
| |
| |  I evaluated a half dozen programs, actually installing them on
| |  my computer and then working with them.  I also asked on
| |  several of the email recipe forums I belong to what
| |  recommendations people had - based on responses I added still
| |  another program to the testing regimen.  The struggle was to
| |  find a program with a high degree of power, yet a relatively
| |  fast learning curve - a program that didn't require a PHD to
| |  operate <G>.  After testing, I picked a program called Now
| |  You're Cooking!  You can find it here:
| |
| |  http://www.ffts.com/
| |
| |  When I test programs, I also like to talk to the developer to
| |  see how the program is supported, and to determine a little of
| |  the history of the program.  I didn't want to invest a great
| |  deal of time building a library of recipes to find the
| |  developer abandoned the program.  I looked at recipe programs
| |  several years ago and most of them don't exist today.  I've
| |  spoken with the developer several times this week.  His name is
| |  Gary and he's truly helpful.  Each time I've called, he's
| |  answered the phone himself and been extremely helpful.  He
| |  started developing the program in the 90's and it's now a
| |  mature program, though he still updates it regularly to make
| |  improvements.  His wife handles the registrations so it's a
| |  family business - I like that!
| |
| |  Here's an over view of the program features:
| |
| |  # automatic categorizing of recipes (based on user-defined
| |  keywords) # auto-find and delete empty categories; map one
| |  category to another # fastest recipe import and search of any
| |  recipe software # perform any of these power tasks across all
| |  cookbooks in a single operation:
| |
| |  * recipe search
| |  * meal plan
| |  * print recipes
| |  * import/export recipes
| |  * duplicate checking and deletion
| |  * defrag cookbooks and image archives
| |  * rebuild cookbook indexes
| |  * auto-link recipe ingredients to nutrition items * untag
| |  recipes * find and replace text strings * proper case recipe
| |  names
| |
| |  # Quick Web Recipes feature for automatic recipe download and
| |  import # customizable Export-to-Web feature for automatic
| |  recipe website creation # customizable multi-rater, multi-
| |  criteria recipe rating system # nutrition analysis using USDA
| |  database directly, including raw, cooked, canned, and processed
| |  foods
| |  # accurate nutrition analysis for any recipe from any source #
| |  more nutrition constituents than other recipe software (now
| |  with trans fats, vitamin K)
| |  # nutrition analysis with %Daily Values based on your
| |  calories/day # customizable diet calculations with nutrition
| |  analysis # Fitness Calculator to track body fat %, BMI, waist
| |  ratios, and other fitness metrics # consumer features (coupon
| |  manager, automatic shopping list with coupons noted, shopping
| |  list by aisle, cost of list across stores) # stable, robust
| |  Meal Masterâ?¢ import/export with dupe checking and isolation of
| |  problem recipes.
| |  # multi-file importing of mixed format text recipes in a given
| |  file # unlimited recipes in multiple cookbooks
| |  # compatibility with Windows Vista/XP/Me/2000/98/95/NT4 #
| |  registration options for FREE upgrades to future versions (so
| |  you can pay once, not again and again) # tech support that
| |  exceeds your expectations
| |
| |  To me, the biggest deterrent to using a computer based program
| |  is the time it takes to get recipes loaded in the program.  I'd
| |  rather be playing golf, shooting, working in the shop, or
| |  taking pictures!  What really impressed me was the ease with
| |  which I can copy or import recipes in the program.  This
| |  program allowed me to create or copy recipes easier than any
| |  other I tried.  It's hard to explain the difference, but Gary
| |  developed a truly simple method for inputting recipes, and he
| |  also developed a really cool import system to download and
| |  install thousands of recipes right from his site.  Importing
| |  recipes/cookbooks from other programs is a snap too.  To give
| |  you an example, I imported the entire MasterCook program (30
| |  cookbooks and 8000+ recipes) in about 20 minutes.
| |
| |  I've imported 56 cookbooks and set up one of my own for Bob's
| |  Favorites for a total of 57 cookbooks.  I've imported a grand
| |  total of 297,927 recipes in the program so far...........you
| |  read it right, 297,927!!  As one of the performance
| |  measurements, I did a search using the word Banana (title or
| |  ingredient) and got over four thousand recipes <laugh> Even
| |  with the huge number of recipes I have, it takes less than 11
| |  seconds to search for a word in the titles.  To search both the
| |  title and the ingredients it took less than 1 minute, 27
| |  seconds!!  I've tested this program, beat it, loaded it to the
| |  max and it hasn't skipped a beat - it's rock solid.  There's so
| |  much more in this program, there's simply not enough room here
| |  to tell you all about the features.
| |
| |  If you have an interest in managing recipes on your computer,
| |  give a look at this program, I highly recommend it.  I like it
| |  so much, I bought the program to give to my daughters so we
| |  could share easily.
| |  Regards,
| |
| |  Bob -- the "Keyboard Cowboy"