-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Loading NEW Computer - Acronis.

  • From: RMB White <roguer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 15:51:44 +1300

To: Reckless Don and GMan,

Thank you very much for both contributions.

I had already decided to stick with Win XP and followed Don's
suggestions (even tho' they were for Win 7)

which said
>   just
> download or purchase (as needed or desired) the latest versions of your
> software then install the OS, install security software, connect to the
> internet, update OS and security software, restore data, install software,
> associate data file types with appropriate software as desired or needed.
>
> File associations are easily changed or set.  In Win 7, click START/Help and
> Support and then type "file associations" into the search box (without the
> quote marks).  Follow the appropriate links.

I restored Data via the  Acronis Backup Data function, however it offers
the options
Docs; Finance; Images; Music; My computer; My Docs; My network places;
Desktop,

so I have done two backups, firstly of My Docs and Desktop, and secondly
Ditto plus Docs;
Finance; Images; Music; Video (but NOT My Computer).

and have restored the first option.  Most things seem to be working
alright, but have yet to do an exhaustive test.

But I am thinking of restoring the second option, and seeing if it all
falls to custard (when I will need to start over).

Would like  YOUR thoughts on this please

Roger W

in the Subject.