From: "RMB White" <roguer@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 24, 2010 9:37 PM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Loading NEW Computer - Acronis.

> GMan !!
>
> Delighted to receive your sage advice (and fully understand your time
> constraints)
>
> 1. I did download the new Acronis which copes with Win 7, but even then
> found that
> it would take too much learning time to get up to useable speed on Win 7.

Understood, although I will soon be taking the plunge myself.  My next
system will include XP Pro, Win7 Ultimate & Ubuntu 9.10 (Linux).  Once they
are all installed, I expect to spend more time in Linux than anywhere else.
Should be an interesting experience.    lol

> 2. so am happily cruising along with XP pro (NOTE the XP disk provided
> by Toshiba completely wiped
> everything from the machine including Win 7)
>

> I DO propose to Restore "Documents and Settings", AND the Programs
> associated with them

Step one is to reinstall those programs.  Once those are in place, the data
you previously collected within the Documents & Settings area can be brought
over and manually put in their proper places.

>> Of course, there are approaches that can get around most of these issues,
>> but they can be very time consuming and confusing for anyone who is not
>> already well versed with them.  We can discuss these more indepth if you
>> choose to go this route.
>>
> Can u pse elaborate  very BRIEFLY what these "approaches" entail??

Very briefly, huh?  lol

The only method that does not have strong potential for headaches is the one
I mentioned above (manual reinstall of missing programs, followed by manual
reinsertion of missing data).  You could also restore from a complete
backup, which would bring with it any/all of the issues that were present
when that backup was made.  But the approaches I was referring to above had
more to do with handling any unforeseen issues that could crop up while
attempting the above methods.  There are far too many possible issues/fixes
to mention here and it would be impossible to list them in any particular
order.  We'll only delve into this realm if something comes up.

> I have already downloaded (to the new machine)  the latest version of
> Thunderbird
> (with which I am now quite happy after sorting out some of the bugs
> about which
> I asked you before).
>
> HOWEVER, if I DID decide to reverse arms and attempt Win 7, does this
> mean I merely
> download new versions of my other Apps, and then do a restore of Data
> and THAT'S IT ??
>
> It seems TOO simple and I am reluctant to embroil myself in the
> complexities of a new OS I don't understand
> as well as hope to restore 7 years of work and records AND avoid
> scrambled eggs all over the floor!
>
> So, I am favouring most strongly going the XP route

You do have it mostly right.  It would take locating/installing some updated
versions of some of your favorite apps (I would look to find the most
updated versions of ALL of them), but the data restoration would very likely
need to be done manually (not a monumental task, but still exploratory &
time consuming), unless the latest Acronis has a function that can take a
backup of a WinXP system and migrate it to Win7.  The primary issue here is
that Win7 stores user data in locations that differ from where XP stored
them.  A migration feature would know how to handle all of that, but I'm not
sure if such a feature exists.

Manual data restoration will require some hunting for the right locations,
but there are ways of making that relatively simple, too.  For one, most
data is stored within a single area, similar to XP, but that area is located
in a different place than within XP.  Anything not found there can be easily
uncovered using the Search function.

in the Subject.