-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Links not working

  • From: dktrfaustus@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 22:36:37 +0100

On 29 Apr 2005 at 11:38, Alice Salinas wrote:
> First off I wish to thank you for having such a fine group.  I have
> been monitoring a few groups of this subject matter and though you all
> might get a bit testy (my opinion) with one another at times I think
> you offer the best assistance, and I for one appreciate it. I am using
> Win 98SE and IE 6 (SP1) and all of a sudden my links stopped working.
> I tried the control/click trick to no avail.  I can save the link to
> my desktop and access it from there but not by just clicking on the
> link as normal.
>
> Does anyone out there have an idea what has happened and how to repair
> it?
>
> I ran spybot AdWare6 and the spy/virus check from TrendMicro housecall
> site and found no spyware, adware or virus.  my virus was, until
> recently AVG but now I have been using Avast! for about 2 months now.
> I also went to pcpitstop and all checked out well.
>
> Any and all assistance will be GREATLY appreciated

Hi, Alice,

Many thanks for the compliments; we (the moderators) are glad that
you're getting something out of the list.

Don't worry about "testy" posters...we run a tight ship, here, and
anyone who crosses a line usually gets kicked out pretty fast.

Regarding your problem with IE links, try following the advice on
this page at Microsoft's Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q281679

(...and make sure that you run all future antivirus and spyware scans
in safe mode.)

If the advice on the above page doesn't solve the problem, it is
likely that one of IE's .DLL files has been corrupted by a disk crash
or malware. In that case, a re-installation of IE would be a good
idea.

Better yet, grab a copy of Firefox or Opera - then you'll have a
backup browser for next week, when IE breaks again...   ;)

Faustus
(...thinking about changing the group name to "IEFixTalk"...)