-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Is 98 better than XP?

  • From: <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 17:22:24 -0700

I am for sure an XP fan.

I have not...(knock on wood.... knock..knock..knock) had a BSOD on
XP..except when I was having a multitude of hardware problems..graphics
card..power supply dying..hard drive dying.  I now think they were all power
supply problems...

I was sick and tired of 98 deciding it did not want to shut down completely.
It was a known 98 problem.. and even the microsoft tech admitted...it
'happens' and there is no permanent fix.

XP is faster... more stable... and can do more.

I think a equal machines running XP and Win 98  that XP would blow 98
away...
Yes, Win 98 can run things that XP cannot...but they are OLD things...not
new ones.....
That is why you have to do the compatibility test when you upgrade an
existing machine.  You then have to make some hard choices.
The sound.. would depend on the card....more than the OS.
Same with Graphics......

I agree with Andy... XP may be a space hog..but when you can buy a 120 Gb
hard drive for $80.00 ...does it matter?  Ram is pretty dang cheap too.
Both are much  cheaper per GB or MB than they were when 98 was in its hay
day.

If you have every tried (I got it for free) the Digital Media Pro package
from Microsoft with the dancers.. just show me a 98 machine that can keep up
with that.....

Hugs,
Rose

From: "Glenn Folkvord (Hyperion Media)" <glenn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Hey,
>
> I had an argument today with one of my business partners about wether Win
XP
> is a better OS than 98. I said XP was better, because that is my own
> experience as well as what I perceive to be the consensus from other
users.
> My friend said 98 was better for sound and multimedia because:
>
> You get more and better drivers for it
> It's less likely to crash when playing multimedia
> XP isnt as compatible with many drivers as 98
> XP is heavier on the system and is therefore more likely to crash
>
> Anyone have some "scientific" explanations of why XP would be better than
> 98, or vice versa?

All depends on what hardware you are running, but give me XP any day over
98. All I know is 'The Blue Screen Of Death' I used to see acouple of times
a day (If I was lucky) on W98 never shows up on XP. Far more stable, and if
you do find something screws it up, simple,. just go back to a previous
'good' point and try again.

Most things now have driver for XP, be they 'verified' ones or not-Even my
old Epson Stylus Color 300 will function-and function perfectly after
someone modified some NT drivers for it!

Yep, XP is a space hog, but hard drive space is that cheap these days,  more
disc space for greater reliability-I'll take that trade off, thanks!"

Cheers

Andy