-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Interesting articles

  • From: The Keyboard Cowboy <KBCowboy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bashful Bob <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:56:20 -0400

Hey Bob, are all those articles from one source?  Is it a newsletter?
Nice roundup of topics!
   Regards from

 Bob -- the "Keyboard Cowboy",
           ,,,,,,,,
          Ô¿Ô¬
 Cincinnati, Ohio - Scottsdale, Arizona
 Monday, 4/18/2005, @ 10:53:11 PM EST
 Judgment comes from experience, and great judgment comes from bad
experience.

 -- Robert Packwood

==================|:o:|==================

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 12:49:10 -0500, Bashful Bob wrote:
  |   Some interesting articles I am thinking.
  |   ******************************************************
  |   http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2005/04/dnc.htm
  |
  |   The Truth about Cell Phones And the National Do Not Call
Registry

  |   If you've received an e-mail telling you that your cell phone is
  |   about to be assaulted by telemarketing calls as a result of a
new
  |   cell phone number database, rest assured that this is not the
  |   case. Telemarketing to cell phone numbers has always been
illegal
  |   in most cases and will continue to be so. In response to recent
e-
  |   mail campaigns urging consumers to place their cell phone
numbers
  |   on the National Do Not Call Registry, the Federal Trade
  |   Commission and Federal Communications Commission issue this
  |   advisory to give consumers the facts
  |   **********************************************************

http://www.timesleader.com/mld/timesleader/business/technology/1140106
6.
  |   htm
  |
  |   Posted on Fri, Apr. 15, 2005
  |
  |   Follow the leader on rebates
  |

  |   By Mike Langberg
  |
  |   Mercury News
  |

  |   Score one for consumers: Mail-in rebates, a curse on shoppers
  |   buying in electronics stores, suddenly appear to be on the way
  |   out.
  |
  |   In a surprise move that was not an April Fool's joke, retailer
  |   Best Buy said April 1 that it will phase out mail-in rebates
  |   during the next two years.

  |   ******
  |

  |   http://www.sophos.com/spaminfo/articles/dirtydozen05.html

  |   Sophos reveals latest "Dirty Dozen" spam producing countries
  |
  |   US continues to lead the pack, as spammers exploit unprotected
PCs

  |   Sophos, a world leader in protecting businesses against spam and
  |   viruses, has today published research on the top twelve spam
  |   producing countries.
  |
  |   Sophos experts examined all spam messages received at the
  |   company's global network of spam traps from January 2005 - March
  |   2005. Based on the analysis, experts found that the United
States
  |   topped the "Dirty Dozen" chart once again, exporting an average
  |   of 35.70% of all spam during this timeframe.

  |   *********
  |

  |   http://www.pewinternet.org/pdfs/PIP_Spam_Ap05.pdf
  |

  |   A year after the CAN-SPAM Act became law, email users say they
  |   are receiving
  |
  |   slightly more spam than before, but they are minding it less.
  |   More than half of
  |
  |   internet users still consider spam to be a big problem, yet the
  |   ill effects of spam on
  |
  |   email habits and the overall internet experience have declined.

  |   **********
  |
  |   http://www.kron4.com/Global/story.asp?S=3199578
  |

  |   Expert warn: Spammers using late pope's image to defraud the
  |   faithful VATICAN CITY For electronic scammers, nothing is sacred
-
  |   - not even the death of Pope John Paul.
  |
  |   A British security expert is alerting Roman Catholics around the
  |   world to an e-mail scheme pegged to the death of the pope.
  |
  |   The spam campaign is aimed at luring the faithful into a bogus
  |   moneymaking scam by first offering free books about the pontiff.
  |   Consumers are then told the books aren't available in their
area,
  |   and redirected to a page about "free moneymaking secrets." That
  |   site makes no mention of the pope.
  |
  |   ************************************************

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/15/business/15privacy.html?ex=127121760
0&
  |   en=5a025279c6bc10ec&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss
  |

  |   Polo Warns of Possible Problem With Credit Card Information
  |
  |   By TOM ZELLER Jr.
  |
  |   Published: April 15, 2005
  |
  |   In another blow to consumer confidence in the security of
  |   personal data, the fashion giant Polo Ralph Lauren said
yesterday
  |   that the credit card information of some customers may have been
  |   put at risk.
  |
  |   The announcement comes after HSBC, the banking conglomerate,
  |   began sending letters to 180,000 holders of its GM-branded
  |   MasterCards last week to notify them of a "security breach" at
an
  |   unidentified "national retailer" that may have compromised their
  |   accounts. The Wall Street Journal identified that retailer
  |   yesterday as Polo Ralph Lauren
  |
  |   **************************************************

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/apr2005/tc20050414_0844
_t
  |   c081.htm?campaign_id=rss_techn
  |

  |   APRIL 14, 2005
  |

  |   TECHNOLOGY & YOU
  |
  |   By Stephen H. Wildstrom
  |

  |   So Long to Clunky Web E-Mail
  |   Finally, Net programs are just as supple as desktop software.
The

http://www.thedmonline.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/04/15/425f9ce2af2d