-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Installed SP2/Windows Starts Slower Than Normal

  • From: "Tempting2Taanzaa" <tempting2taanzaa@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 22:12:05 -0700

Thanks for the reply.  I did find my problem with some help...I disabled the
security center (already happy with NAV & outpost firewall) and that did it!

Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 08:29:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Robert Andrew Dulaney Jr." <rdulaneyjr@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: Installed SP2/Windows Starts Slower Than Normal

You probably already know this but, just in case you don't, you can speed up
your boot time by trimming the programs that load at boot-up.  I went to
grandma's yesterday and she had atleast 12 programs that were loading and in
her systray that she didn't need there.  it seems that everything wants to load
at boot-up. She now boots in 1/2 the time.

There are many free programs, that are basically worthless, that will allow you
to easily turn thiose items on and off w/o going into confisys some like
Codestuff's Starter will allow you to search Google or MSN by right clicking on
the exe file that boots up.  This action will automatically take you to a site
that will explain what that progran does and if it is required for the O/S to
work properly making your choice, if you are a novice, easier on to wether to
turn it on/off which can be done by a simple checkmark in a box.

Like I said most probably know this stuff, but for those that don't. . . . .

Respectfully,

Bob