-=PCTechTalk=- Re: IP address in conflict

  • From: Disastar <disastar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 04:08:36 -0500

That is a good idea, but I'm even more concerned about the ping by IP losing
all packets.  Ping by URL not working could be a lot of things, but ping by
IP not working pretty much means no connectivity.

I need some more info here...
1) Is it broadband internet access using a cable or dsl modem?
2) Is there a router?  If so, is PC using wireless or wired access?  If not,
is PC using Ethernet or USB to connect to modem?
3) If using router, does the router generate IP's for PC's (router DHCP on)?
If so, the PC should be set to automatically obtain IP.  If not, the PC
should be set to a specific IP in the range the router is set up for.
4) Have you turned off all PC, modem, and router at the same time?  If not,
the correct way to do this is to turn off PC, then router, then modem.  Then
turn on modem until lights show its connected, then turn on router until
lights show connected (or done booting), and then turn on PC.  Not many
people seem to know this, but this sequence is very rarely needed, but in a
few rare circumstances will be the only way to get it working.
5) It might be helpful to know modem and router brand/model.
6) From cmd prompt, type "ipconfig" to find the Default Gateway, then run
the ping command with the IP of the Default Gateway (Ex. "ping 192.168.1.1"
works for most routers).  Tell us if the packets were either Received or
Lost.
7) Is the correct LED lit on the modem that shows its connected to the PC or
router (usually called Link)?  If not, then try another port on the back of
the router.  This light off means that either the Ethernet cable or Ethernet
port (either end) could be bad.
8) If using Ethernet wires, are the lights lit on the router for the port #
that the PC is connected to?  And is the light lit on the PC (there should
be a small LED right next to the Ethernet port)?
9) What version of Windows is on the PC?

If the above doesn't get you anywhere, you could try to run the WinXP
built-in Network Diagnostics by running "netsh diag gui" then click "Scan
your system".  Then look for items marked Failed.

The following link might help.  You might want to make a System Restore
Point first because some programs (like many of the netsh lines) make
changes to Windows that might require re-installing some programs like
anti-virus and firewalls.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314067

Ed